Are you sure you want to delete your account?
You have indicated you do not agree to our terms of use, do you wish to delete your account?
Why not sign up?

You will also be registered for the agent to contact you via other means you provide, with information relevant to your property search.

There was an error creating your account, please try again. If the problem persists, please contact us and we will investigate.
Password does not match
How would you like to be contacted?


Published: 02/07/2020 By Richard Bennett

When you’re buying or selling a home, the last thing you want is to be bombarded with estate agent lingo. Unfortunately, agents can easily revert to dropping jargon on you with questions about whether you’re an FTB, if you’re after a freehold or leasehold, and so on.

Of course, here at Nicholson's Estate Agents, we use jargon-free language that is understandable and will help you sell your home or find the keys to a new one in no time at all. But enough about us.  You came here for the jargon busters and that’s what we’re going to do so  put your feet up and read on as we unpick all the essential estate agent language.

VENDOR - You are the vendor if you’re selling your home. Most people trying to sell their home are referred to as the “seller” but the official term is “vendor”.

BUYER -  The person that is buying the Property, sometimes also known as the Purchaser.

CONVEYANCING - The legal description for the work that is done to transfer ownership of a property from one person to another.

PORTALS - Have you ever heard of Rightmove and Zoopla? They’re the two primary property portals – websites used by estate agents, both online and high street, to advertise the properties of their sellers.

FTB - An FTB might sound like some acronym reserved for the world of banking but it actually stands for first-time buyers. And just in case you didn’t know, first-time buyers are people who are purchasing a property for, you guessed it.......the first time.

PROPERTY LADDER - The property ladder is a series of stages that reflects your position in the UK housing market. First-time buyers are getting on the property ladder, while those moving from a small home to a larger one are known to be moving up the property ladder.

UNDER OFFER - When a property is under offer, it means the vendor has accepted an offer which is currently being processed. Nothing is concrete at this stage, but the signs are good, and hopefully everything runs smoothly for the buyer and seller.

SURVEY -  An inspection to check the physical condition of the property.

GAZUMPING - Gazumping is when a seller has accepted one offer on their property, only to then accept another offer of a higher price at the last minute. When this happens, it is understandably frustrating for the buyer.

GAZUNDERING - Where a Buyer reduces his offer for a property after agreeing a price with the Seller.  This can only happen before Exchange of Contracts.

HM LAND REGISTRY - HM Land Registry is a government agency that holds the records of all registered property in the United Kingdom.  Most property is now registered at the Land Registry.

LENDER - Usually a Bank or Building Society who lend money to property owners.

LISTED BUILDING - Listed Buildings are protected by law. Properties that are listed are subject to rigorous planning restrictions.

CHAIN - A chain is the number of people involved in your sale. You could be buying from someone who is purchasing from another person, who is buying from another person, who is buying from another person...... The whole thing is a bit like a chain.

EPC - An energy performance certificate, otherwise known as an EPC, shows the efficiency of a property and provides a good estimation of how much utility bills will cost. It’s graded from A to G, with A being excellent and G representing a home that isn’t very cost-efficient.

AIP/MIP/DIP - If you’re taking out a mortgage to buy your next home, you will first need an agreement in principle (AIP), mortgage in principal (MIP) or a decision in principal (DIP). It’s an estimate of how much the bank is willing to let you.

LEASEHOLD - With a leasehold property, you own the property but not the land where it’s built. Leaseholds are very common with flats in the UK.

FREEHOLD - A freehold represents ownership of the building and the land that it sits on. In other words, you own everything.

NEW BUILD - New build homes are actually pretty straightforward. It represents a brand-spanking new home that hasn’t been lived in yet.

EQUITY - The amount of money a homeowner puts into their property is known as equity or capital. This is the value built up over time as the owner pays off the mortgage and the property value increases.

ISA - An individual savings account (ISA) is a scheme designed to help people get on the property ladder by offering tax-free savings accounts.  

SSTC - SSTC stands for Sold (subject to contract), which is when a property is off the market because an offer has been accepted but hasn’t been finalised.

AUCTION - Where a property is bought/sold at an auction house.  Once the hammer goes down contracts are exchanged.