Published: 28/07/2020 By Richard BennettWe're busy people.
We go about our business without actually realising we might actually live on a street that is named after someone or something special. Here in Retford, we have plenty of streets, roads and lanes named after local people, rivers, local gentry and long gone businesses.
Take a look at this list and see if you can spot them on your travels!
If anyone can think of any more, get in touch with us!
Century Road – Named as the street was built in 1900, the turn of the century.
Victoria Road – Named after Queen Victoria. The road was built in Victorian Times.
Albert Road - Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha was the husband of Queen Victoria. The road is off Victoria Road so Victoria and Albert are “together”.
Manvers Road – Named after the Earl Manvers. The ancestral seat was Thoresby Hall near Ollerton.
Pelham Road - Pelham-Clinton was the family name of the Dukes of Newcastle-under-Lyme and their seat was Clumber House near Worksop.
West Hill Road – This part of Retford was known as West Hill and formed farmland before Ordsall expanded. The original West Hill Farm doesn’t exists anymore but the farm house still stands, set back from the road.
All Hallows Street/All Hallows Close – Named after the Grade II listed parish church of All Hallows in Ordsall.
Jenkins Avenue - Jenkins of Retford (founded 1896) were makers of screening, conveying and elevating plant machinery. Now closed down, the area has been developed into a housing estate.
Grove Coach Road – Former route of the old track leading to Grove Hall. Horses pulling coaches would have gone along this route to the Hall.
Dominie Cross Road - Named after the stone cross which marked Retford's southern boundary in medieval times. The base of the southern cross (the Dominie Cross) was later moved into Market Square and became known as the Broad Stone which is still outside the Town Hall.
Amcott Way/Wharton Street – Named after an important local citizen and MP for Retford, renaming himself Wharton Amcotts in honour of his marriage to Ann Maria Amcotts.
Armstrong Road/Collins Walk/Eagle Place – Named (apparently) after the Moon Landings of 1969 when the houses and streets were built. Neil Armstrong and Michael Collins were the first men on the moon arriving on Apollo Lunar Module “Eagle”.
Waterfields –Named after the hides and skins works (Tannery) Thomas Waterfield & Sons that stood on the site.
Hospital Road - Holy Trinity Hospital building of 1832 stands on Hospital Road
Bridon Close – Stands on the site of the mighty Bridon Rope & Wire Works which closed in the 2000s.
Portland Road - Welbeck Abbey near Worksop is a country house and once the residence of the Dukes of Portland.
Westfield Road – Lies in the old part of Retford once called “Westfield”.
Galway Crescent – Named after the Viscounts Galway, whose estate is at Serlby near Blyth.
Redforde Park Road/Avenue/Drive - The old English name for Retford. The origins of Retford’s name are unknown but it seems that it gets its name from an ancient ford crossing the River Idle. A common explanation of the name is that the river water was tinged red due to the frequent crossing of people and livestock disturbing the clay river bed.
Hillcrest Mews – This road stands on the site of the original Retford Workhouse that by the 1950s was called Hillcrest Hospital (being on the crest of Spital Hill) and provided care for the elderly before being demolished in the 1970s.
Clumber Street – Clumber Park is just 8 miles away. Former seat of the Dukes of Newcastle-under-Lyme.
Elizabethan Gardens – Stands on the site of the former Retford Girls' High School. The school was demolished when new buildings in Hallcroft were built and was renamed The Elizabethan Academy.
Milnercroft - Sir Frederick Milner the former town's MP. The Sir Frederick Milner Secondary Modern School in Retford was named after him.
Meden Way/Maun Close/Poulter View – Named after the Rivers Meden, Maun & Poulter that all merge to from the River Idle that flows through the town.
Edgbaston Drive, Headingley Road, Lords Court, Hove Chase, Trent Bridge Road, Grace Road, Taunton Way – All named after either Cricket Clubs or Grounds a they lie very close to Ordsall Bridon Cricket Club. The roads stand on the former Bridon Wire Ropes site.
Jubilee Road – Built around the time of King George V’s Silver Jubilee in 1935.